Question:
Can Power Supply Handle Upgrades?
?
2010-04-09 19:09:46 UTC
I Currently have:
Microsoft Windows XP, MCE, Ver. 2002, SP3
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz
ABIT AA8 DuraMAX
-240-pin DIMM socket; Dual channel DDr2-533/400 (Max. 4GB) 8.5GB/s
-PCIE x16
-PCIE x1 I/O
-4 ports SATA 150 RAID 0/1, supports SATA AHCI
-On board Theatre-class 7.1 Channel Intel HD Audio, optical S/PDIF In/Out
-3 ports IEEE 1394 @ 100/200/400 Mb/s transfer rate
-Gigabit LAN control supports 10/100/1000 BASE-T Ethernet
-1 x PCIE x16 slot, 3 x PCIE x1 slots, 2 x PCI slots, 4 x SATA 150 Connectors, 1 x Ultra ATA
100/66/33 Connector, 2 x USB 2.0 headers, 2 x IEEE 1394 headers, 1 x FP-Audio header, 1 x
CD-IN
2.00GB of RAM, 4x Corsair Value Select 512MB PC2-2400 DDR2 SDRAM
Seagate Barracuda ST3120827AS SATA1.5Gb/s 120GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache
ATI RADEON X800 XL 400MHz 256MB
Sony DVD/CD-RW CRX320E 52x CD read/write, 16x DVD read 2MB buffer
DWL-G510 High Speed 2.4GHz (802.11g) 54Mbps max
L&C LC-B450E 115/230V 450W 60/50Hz

So, will my 450W L&C LC-B450E handle these upgrades:
*Additional 1TB 7200RPM HDD
*Dual TV Tuner
-Swap out for CD/Blu-Ray Reader
-Swap out for 802.11n wireless card
-Swap out for 4 x 1GB DDR2 SDRAM

I really want need the HDD and Dual TV Tuner, so I guess I could hold off on the wireless card and RAM if needed.

Basically trying to make a HTPC, so any other suggestions would be helpful.
Four answers:
2010-04-09 19:27:54 UTC
Go ahead, those additions/changes you're talking about are very low power draws, perhaps 50W total.

If you want to save a couple of $s, just get 2x 1GB memory sticks to add. 32-bit versions of Windows can't access more than about 3.25 GB no matter how much you add, so it's rather pointless to jump to 4GB
?
2016-12-11 12:02:36 UTC
Logisys is junk. i do not understand what the individuals at techwarelabs were smoking even as they examined that piece of crap. Even they talked about that the voltages were risky sufficient to ruin a gadget. yet, they nevertheless cautioned this garbage?!? you'd be a fool no longer to regulate that capacity furnish once you improve to a phenom quad-center. i'd propose a BFG GS-550.
?
2010-04-09 19:18:43 UTC
Why not get an external CD/Blu-ray with its own power supply.

Also you can easily upgrade to a 600Wat PSU for less then 120 bucks.

not enough power can damage everything on your computer. (sometimes it will run them but can still do damage because there isn't enough power to kick the fans up)

if you investing that much money into your PC. upgrade the PSU.
2010-04-09 19:18:31 UTC
yes....you mostly only need to worry about the video card when it comes to PS