Question:
Optiplex GX620 - How Can I Increase RAM Past 4GB?
Man-Guy
2011-11-03 20:26:59 UTC
So I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 Intel Pentium Dual Core 3.20 GHz, running Windows 7 32-bit and the current limit for RAM is 4GB. How can I increase this? I realise that I may have to change the motherboard, at which point it will no longer be a GX620 but if it's the only way to get more than 4GB RAM then so be it. Which motherboard would be best to switch to? I want to update to Windows 7 64-bit so I can utilise more RAM for my home studio set-up, which will include running programs like FL Studio 9, Adobe Audition 3.0, Reaper, Cubase LE, recording interfaces and a MIDI keyboard. What I'm running now may be enough in the end but having more RAM for such a set-up always puts the mind at ease. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.
Three answers:
?
2011-11-03 20:30:25 UTC
You'd need a new motherboard and therefore new processor. The only thing you'd be able to keep would be the hard disk(s) and video card (if any), so you might as well buy a new computer.
ferrie
2016-12-16 00:48:33 UTC
in case you're finding to have twin channel RAM setup on your computing device you may desire to have 2 matched sticks of RAM. in case you're utilising one PC2-4200 and one PC2-5300 it won't artwork as a twin channel setup - could clarify memory positioned up code. verify the BIOS to work out if there's a change to coach on and rancid twin channel to your memory. Turning off twin channel will reason your memory to artwork slower than having it on, yet you're transforming into the flexibility to apply distinctive speeds/manufacturers of RAM to spice up entire attainable memory.
?
2011-11-03 20:33:37 UTC
You must have 64bit architecture. This means you will have to change the MB and CPU as well as the OS.Your 32bit machine will only see just over 3GB of RAM otherwise.