Question:
Why does my computer need to be unplugged for several minutes before it can power up?
puffbunny
2006-03-30 15:52:39 UTC
This started happening some time ago and I've never been able to figure out why. After I shutdown my computer, I will be unable to get it to power up again unless I turn off the power switch on the back of the power supply (or turn off the power strip) and let it sit for several minutes. By 'not powering up' I mean that it won't even get to the POST mode where the motherboard 'beeps' and it loads the BIOS. The power LED will be "ON", but the fans will have all turned off, and the reset switch does nothing in this state.

Thanks for any help. I have a friend this exact same thing is happening to as well!
Nine answers:
2006-03-30 17:53:16 UTC
My guess would be a bad power supply. When you unplug it, your discharge all the static electricity that builds up. Simply powering down won't work unless you leave it off for an extended period of time.
chorca
2006-03-30 15:58:33 UTC
It's hard to tell without actually troubleshooting the machine, but it could be a number of things. An easy step to try is to reset the CMOS by removing the little battery on the motherboard for about 5-10 minutes while the system is unplugged from the wall, then reinstall the battery and try starting the system. THis will reset the BIOS settings and may fix the problem. Otherwise, it is possible that your power supply is overheating or damaged, and requires cooldown time after it's been on before it will work properly again.
dave939939
2006-03-30 15:57:25 UTC
Sounds like a ground issue with your power supply. I would replace the power supply.
medic391
2006-03-30 16:32:53 UTC
Yeah....i would go with the power supply too. You can go to newegg,tigerdirect or zipzoomfly(free shipping) get an atx power supply with 450-500 watts. there are good ones that are under $100. when you go to swap it out, replace one cable at a time so you don't get confused as to what went where.
2006-03-30 15:59:26 UTC
It sounds like you might have a bad power supply. I would try a new power supply and see if that will work.
2006-03-30 16:02:44 UTC
The issue is with the power supply...trust me. It looks like you may have to replace it.
?
2016-11-30 04:55:45 UTC
try pulling the cmos battery (clock), which will reset the bios to default. There will be an digital swith stuck . The battery is chrome or silver around the dimensions of a nickle. Wait a min or so and positioned it back in.
gregory_dittman
2006-03-30 15:56:29 UTC
Your motherboard is dieing. The heat is causing a short somewhere.
Ready2Go
2006-03-30 15:57:13 UTC
You should ask one of the "stupid youths" to help you, I hear kids today know a lot about computers.