Question:
how can I prevent my computer from crashing when I run demanding programs like games?
kol p
2006-11-28 00:08:56 UTC
My CPU frequently stops entirely after I run the games for a short while even though the specs on my machine is more than ideal to run the programs.My monitor screen just 'freezes' and the CPU stops responding.
Seven answers:
alchemist_n_tx
2006-11-28 05:19:39 UTC
There's only two reasons why a computer will run fine while doing things like web browsing, but will crash not long after starting a game: the processor overheating, or the video card overheating.

"Canned" air, available from Wal Mart and many other places, will take care of that problem. Blow out your cpu heatsink itself, along with the video card's heatsink, with the compressed air.

Also, clean both fans with Q-tips and Windex. Just don't spray the Windex on anything. Pour a little into a small bowl, and dip each Q-tip, then sqeeze out the excess, so the Q-tip is only damp. It's also a good idea to clean all of your case fans while your at it. The more dust they have clogging them, the slower they turn, and the slower they turn, the less air they move.
pshdsa
2006-11-28 00:26:04 UTC
More than ideal? Hardly. The proof is in the pudding. You obviously don't have near enough memory. Upgrade your system RAM -- a lot of systems have integrated memory -- and upgrade your graphic card -- make sure it is loaded with its own memory. And for heavens sake, put in some auxiliary fans to cool it better.

Make sure your cpu fan is functioning properly and cooling the cpu. Hot cpu's run until they get too hot and then the machine turns off.

Good idea is to buy cans of pressurized air to clean out the interior of your computer from dust -- that will help to keep things cooler.
writersbIock2006
2006-11-28 00:16:43 UTC
Sounds like you need more Video Memory aka Video Card

your computer specs might seem you have enough, and especially in laptops where you see 128 MB of video ram.

Look besides it and see if its integrated video ram -- meaning no dedicated video ram to process those intricate awesome details.

youre stating you meet the specs...well up your vid card, and there you go.

Should have 521MB at very least of system Ram..and for some games that wont be enough.

1GB system RAM + 126 MB video card should hold you over.

Anything above this, will give you the game the way it was menat to be seen -- Blood Gore and violence

go to pricewatch.com

should save a pretty penny there
dj_jhoe15
2006-11-28 00:18:46 UTC
check the fan of the CPU inside your computer or add an additional blower or cooling fun for your CPU. The probably cause of hanging is overheating or noncompatible hardware. Try to open the side panel of your computer to let the CPU cool. Observe the cooling fans inside the computer, make sure that they are running well. When this work, heat is the main cause of crash.
2006-11-28 00:16:54 UTC
Make sure you have the right amount of cache and make sure you have enough RAM and a big enough processor. After that, if you still have problems, look towards your video or sounds card. Maybe the drivers for those are out of date or maybe the hardware is out of date.

I do know my husbands computer crashed during gaming a few times and he discovered that the heat sink for his video had clogged up with dust. he cleaned it out and never had the problem again.
baisley
2016-12-14 12:58:08 UTC
Deleting shortcuts does help yet because of the fact they're so small, it won't replace plenty in any respect. you may ought to delete 1000 shortcuts to make a difference. do away with all unimportant classes, inclusive of unused video games. paying for a clean memory board could be particularly costly, I basically propose paying for memory itself, which could be extra into slots on the motherboard, last purposes working helps, turning your printer or audio device on and rancid does not help what so ever. each and all the flaws you stated decelerate your computing gadget. with a view to hurry up it in case you have vista, get a extensive skill flash force around 4 gigabytes. Then use its readyboost function. in any different case basically upload as plenty memory on your computing gadget.
bobby
2006-11-28 00:18:35 UTC
yup i too smell the VRAM could be an issue else

is that program a DOS mode program then right click on the .exe and properties and choose the program to run on win95 compatibility mode in compatibility tab of properties.

else check your VRAM.