Question:
Problem with my desktop computer!!!?
seebster
2006-11-28 06:47:15 UTC
When I turn on my computer, after the emachines logo shows a sreen appears saying NTLDR is missing, restart your compueter.
When I restart, the screen still appears?
Does anyon know what is wrong? I cant use my computer and have important files stores.
How can i get rid of this problem?
Fifteen answers:
Eric R
2006-11-28 07:14:25 UTC
Make sure you do not have any disk in any of your drives.

If your drive is formatted FAT or FAT32 you can copy the file to the root of your c: drive.

If your drive is formatted NTFS

1.) reinstall Windows from CD - Do not format drive and select a different Install location something other then c:\windows use c:\win2 for your install path

2.) After the install files are copied to your drive you will have 2 boot options. Do not select the option to complete installation. Select the option that read Microsoft Windows XP (Home or Professional) depending on your version.

3.) Once you have booted right click on "My Computer" and select properties. Go to the "Advanced" tab and click the setting button in the "Startup and Recovery" section

4.) In the top section click "Edit" to Edit you start up file manually.

5.) Look for a line similar to "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WIN2=". This is the location of your second install. Delete the line and save the file.

6.) Reboot your machine and it should boot normally. Once it boots normally you can delete the "c:\win2" directory that you created for the install.

After this you will have access to all of your programs and application data. Nothing will be lost.
Jack
2006-11-29 12:34:52 UTC
Your error is: "NTLDR is Missing; Press any key to restart"

Cause:

1. Computer is booting from a non-bootable source.

2. Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS.

3. Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file.

4. Misconfiguration with the boot.ini file.

5. Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME

computer that is using FAT32.

6. New hard disk drive being added.

7. Corrupt boot sector / master boot record.

8. Seriously corrupted version of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

9. Loose or Faulty IDE/EIDE hard disk drive cable.

Solutions:

1. verify that no floppy disketteis in the computer and no usb

storage device is connected.

2. Verify that your computer hard disk drive is properly setup in

the BIOS / CMOS setup.

3. If you have Windows XP:

Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.

When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD,

press any key.

Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to

repair Windows.

Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and

pressing enter.

You will then be prompted for your administrator password,

enter that password.

Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary

hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files

from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different

on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\

copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Once both of these files have been successfully copied,

remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

4. Edit the boot.ini on the root directory of the hard disk drive and

verify that it is pointing to the correct location of your Windows

Operating System and that the partitions are properly defined.

5. If you are getting this error message while you are attempting

to upgrade to Windows 2000 or Windows XP from Windows

95, Windows 98, or Windows ME running FAT32 please try

the below recommendations.

Boot the computer with a Windows 95, Windows 98 or

Windows ME bootable diskette.

At the A:\> prompt type:

sys c:

After pressing enter you should receive the "System

Transferred" message. Once this has been completed

remove the floppy diskette and reboot the computer.

6. If you are attempting to add a new hard disk drive to the

computer make sure that drive is a blank drive. Adding a new

hard disk drive to a computer that already has Windows

installed on it may cause the NTLDR error to occur.

7. It's possible your computer's hard disk drive may have a

corrupt boot sector and/or master boot record. These can be

repaired through the Microsoft Windows Recovery console by

running the fixboot and fixmbr commands.

8. If you have tried each of the above recommendations that

apply to your situation and you continue to experience this

issue it is possible you may have a seriously corrupted

version of Microsoft Windows. Therefore we would

recommend you reinstall Microsoft Windows 2000 and

Windows XP.

9. This issue has been known to be caused by a loose or fault

IDE/EIDE cable. If the above recommendation does not

resolve your issue and your computer hard disk drive is using

an IDE or EIDE interface. Verify the computer hard disk drive

cable is firmly connected by disconnected and reconnecting

the cable.

If the issue continues it is also a possibility that the computer

has a faulty cable, try replacing the hard disk drive cable with

another cable and/or a new cable.
ingthing2000
2006-11-28 07:00:47 UTC
You could try going into machine BIOS set up and tell your computer to boot from CD as the first device.

Then Try booting from your Windows XP (I'm assuming it is XP) disk or start disk if using NT Workstation....

There is a util on there for repairing the Boot sector, and that is probably where the problem is!

Often the best sollutionj is to reinstall everything, but could be a problem as you have valuable data on the drive!

Hope this is of some Help!
chagganon
2006-11-28 09:45:15 UTC
NTLDR is the boot loader for Windows. Try reinstalling the OS. If that doesn't work or this problem happens again in a short time after being fixed, you most likely have a hardware problem.
?
2016-10-04 15:26:18 UTC
If the workstation is out of guarantee, then to restoration it your self, you decide on a volt/amp meter. First verify the ends of the wires that connect the skill furnish to the on/off swap. If NO skill, then the skill furnish is the main in all hazard criminal. If there is skill on the ends of the wires, use the meter to envision for skill on the ends of the wires that connect the skill swap to the motherboard. confirm you practice the activate and rancid jointly as checking for skill at this element. back, if NO skill, then the swap is undesirable. If there is skill, have your motherboard checked by a expert or purchase a alternative. notice: Dell computers are unlike minded with different mfgr's motherboards. in case you decide directly to purchase a motherboard from someplace to boot Dell, then you definitely additionally will could swap the workstation case for about $40-$60. I did it and that i'm happy that I did. I have been given a upgraded ASUS motherboard, a swifter AMD chip and bigger and swifter RAM off the internet for a similar value Dell needed for purely a alternative motherboard. So, all I had to spend extra effective exchange into for a conventional case and my workstation now runs circles around the old Dell. solid luck!
flyingconfused
2006-11-28 06:51:03 UTC
This sounds like an issue with the OS system boot file. If it's still under warranty you should call the manufacturer. I had something similar a while ago and had to re-install the OS. I hope you've back your files up.
asake
2006-11-28 06:51:33 UTC
I have a feeling that your computer may have crashed. If you still have the installation CD, then try to reinstall it but don't do Full installation but partial. That way all you files store on your computer can be recovered.
Gavin S
2006-11-28 06:49:08 UTC
NTLDR (abbreviation of NT Loader) is the boot loader for Windows NT, including its later versions (2000/XP/Server 2003/Longhorn). You really need to format the drive and reinstall your OS.
topgun h
2006-11-28 06:54:10 UTC
NTLDR is the Windows NT Bootloader. Check out this link - it gives excellent instructions on solving this issue.

http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm
BlackRockCityRFC
2006-11-28 07:00:02 UTC
If you are stuck, get a shop to take out your hard-drive and put it into another computer as a 'slave' drive so you can get your important files of it (in case you have to reinstall and are worried about losing files).
2006-11-28 06:58:30 UTC
Maybe bashing or using some sort of force could possibly fix the problem. If all else fails, throw it out the window
Amod D
2006-11-28 07:06:24 UTC
before you format the pc out some things,,,

switch off the pc

remove the RAM chip and wipe it clean,,

disconnect the Cdrom drive

and restart the pc,,, it worked at my place
2006-11-28 09:17:23 UTC
If your computer is not working properly while you are working on it, it could be a problem with device drivers, hardware or software.

Detailed instructions at http://tinyurl.com/yk5zpr
thunder2sys
2006-11-28 06:51:07 UTC
Corrupted windows. you need to do a system repair from the windows XP cd. If you do it properly then you won't lose any data.
Helping Since 1969
2006-11-28 06:49:46 UTC
go here http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm