Question:
Win xp past 2014 , Slipstream / Automate install / ram>4gb?
Datadocen
2013-12-07 08:57:00 UTC
I have always liked windows xp , it has a nice gui and is fairly user-friendly compared to most other os. I have a number of older pcs also , win7 or 8 is not an option for me.
sorry for the many complex questions but im sure many other than me also want the answers if any exist.
I apreciate any info and experiences on what works or doesnt.
Is there a way to change the location for windows update so I can keep all updates on a local server and have it install from that ?

There is 1000s of windows xp updates , how to sort out what each of them does and which ones I need ? some just disable fonts others are useful. I tryed downloading update isos but these are full dvd size, do I really need that much ? I mostly use english , but support for other language is good also. I try windows update catalog but it lists 900 updates , do I need to select them one page at the time ? there seems to be no way to select all of them at once. also clicking each link for info on what they do will take a very long time. Is there a report listing every update and details on what it does as a text file ?

Is nlite the best and easyest tool to slipstream updates and automate install ? I want to install many programs unattended, and change settings like temp dir folders to c:\temp, how do I script this ? I tryed several slipstream tools but they seem hard to figure out , any good guides for dummyes?
I want to script a custom hosts file copied to etc.
also settings to make it work with ssd / turn off swapfile. Is it possible to make the dvd install direct to a ssd ? that would be a big plus instead of having to install to a mechanical drive and then cloning it over. any attempt i made to install direct to ssd corrupted and crashed the install on first reboot since I could not change settings until after booting.

Is it possible to modify servicepacks ? f.ex one servicepack changes the hal so windows xp only supports 4 gb total ram,
any more would be a big help , I see no reports on succesful
usage of more ram with pae. i read sp1 would support 64gb ?
would it work to use winxp sp1 and install each update after that
instead of using servicepacks ? would this allow more ram usage?
i have abandoned windows xp 64 bit since many programs will not run under this , win xp 32 bit sp3 seems to run everything I need.
although in the future win7 support / emulation would be a big bonus , is this possible ? otherwise I may be stuck with older versions of some programs.

I would be very happy if I can figure out how to put all my favorite programs on a dvd and have it auto-boot and install clean windows xp with all updates and settings I need unattended.
It would save me days for each install.
Five answers:
Stoic
2013-12-07 10:36:58 UTC
Hi Datadocen

It is likely that you are aware of some of the issues my answer will touch upon but I will include them anyway, because they will probably be of relevance to most XP users. I am also conscious that others experiencing similar issues might come across your question and the related answers while searching for solutions, as you have.

One main constraining factor for XP users is that its built-in IE browser tops out at IE8. XP will not upgrade to newer editions of IE beyond IE8. Increasingly browser technology is veering towards compatibility with tablet and smartphone technology, so browser interfaces are updating rapidly to keep up with the mobile internet devices that an increasing number of users require. It is of course possible for you to use XP with alternative, more up-to-date browsers such as the latest versions Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, Opera, Avant, Wyzo and others.

Another pivotal issue is, as your question implies you already know, that all Microsoft support, automatic updates, service packs, application upgrades and security patches for XP, IE8, .net framework (for XP), and MediaPlayer (for XP) will cease from April 8, 2014 onwards, which is almost exactly 4 months away. Depending on the approach that Microsoft decide to adopt, the termination of support could also have a negative impact on the availability of XP compatible device drivers, which could hamper users needing to do fresh reinstalls of XP, without dedicated device drivers on disc or saved on storage devices.

On the issue of XP automatic updates, security patches and service packs, sometimes these cannot be installed out of sequence, in the sense that to upgrade from state a to state c may not be possible without first updating to state b. This does not apply in all instances but it certainly applies to some updates and patches and certain aspects of XP service packs and can lead to irredeemable corruption of the registry or the entire operating system.

On the issue of service packs, XP SP1 cannot function properly on today's internet because of its browser limitations. IE6 has serious, widely acknowledged security flaws and is no longer supported by some browsers.

The RAM limit in XP is a BIOS issue that can sometimes be resolved via BIOS updates for your computer's motherboard. There are however, some motherboards on which this is impossible and the 3Gb RAM limit cannot be exceeded.

Slipstreaming and unattended installations are only viable when the number of variables are limited. The huge volume of updates, patches and new utilities spanning XP SP1, SP2 and SP3 updated to December 2013, creates too many variables for you to efficiently, effectively and accurately script a foolproof selective automated updating methodology. The most likely outcome with any attempt at this will be a corrupted and/or stalled or aborted installation.

The firmaware and BIOS built into modern components' and devices' controller boards and motherboards often make them incompatible with XP, causing aborted installations and the problem will become more acute when support for XP stops. Computer component and device manufacturers will stop producing device drivers and firmware that will be recognized by XP, making increasing numbers of processors, motherboards, high speed RAM modules, ultra high speed Hard Disk Drives and Solid State Drives incompatible with any version of XP, no matter how it is configured. It is possible that this is the reason for the difficulty you have been experiencing with installations on your SSD. Many of today’s latest desktop and laptop motherboards will also automatically abort any attempted XP installation.

The best solution for you ultimately, if you wish to keep using XP, would probably be to network and file share your XP and Win 7 devices and use the Win 7 system for online use and the XP system for offline use, for as long as the XP hardware, software and utilities maintain normal functionality.

I recommend lots of restore points and user data backups leading up to and beyond the April 08 2014 deadline.

If you have not already done so, I would recommend that you join the Microsoft Community and make full use of the Support Services available from the community, some of whose members might be able to offer you some additional insights.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/end-support-help

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=mscom

I hope this helps.

Rgds

Stoic

Update:

As I explained in the introduction to my answer, my answer was a broad-based response to your question, without the benefit of in depth knowledge of your hardware setup or background knowledge of your expertise in IT. I always answer these questions comprehensively, making no assumptions about the experience of the asker and with a thought to anyone with similar problems (but perhaps without deep IT expertise) later coming across this question online and using the answers provided to try to solve their problems. So, my answer was for you (who is not willing to adopt 7), where relevant, and also for anyone else with similar difficulties to yours but less IT expertise (who might be willing to consider 7).

Your additional background gives a better picture of your capabilities and of what you have and have not tried. So it is now easier to give a focused response specifically to you, to add to the generalized answer I gave before.

So I'll now address the points in your follow up comments.

The people who suggested Linux, 7 or 8, did not offer "incorrect" solutions to your question, they just offered 100% effective solutions that would resolve all the issues you raised, but that you are not prepared to consider (which is completely your prerogative) because you are committed to XP (which is completely your prerogative).

The RAM limit in XP is a BIOS issue in older machines (I had no background information on your hardware from your original question) in that it can be resolved with BIOS flashes and/or updates, if they are available for the motherboard concerned. For newer machines it might not be a BIOS issue. I have updated several motherboard BIOSs to recognize more than 3Gb in XP. Your motherboard either will or will not allow it. There might be a way of fooling XP SP3 into accepting a higher RAM limit but my answer was not given in the context of hacking. In a hacking and recoding context, the possibilities are endless and are best discussed on hacking forums, not here.

I did not claim that SSDs are impossible to use with XP, just that there may be immediate compatibility issues with certain models of SSD and ultra high spin speed HDD. Nor did I claim that it would be impossible to slipstream XP updates and patches, just that it might be problematic. If you are willing to laboriously manually compile a preferred combination of updates laboriously by trial-and-error, then there is nothing to stop you from creating your own updates slipstreaming protocol and burning it onto a DVD as a disaster recovery tool.

My point about IE8 was advice for anyone with a similar problem to yours who happens to be emotionally attached to IE even tough there are alternative browsers (just like you are emotionally attached to XP even though there are alternative OSs).

I am unsure about your rationale in saying that the other browser alternatives (which I did mention in my original answer) would definitely be viable with XP SP1 or a modified variant thereof (which is what your question suggested you wanted to try). I believe the latest browser technologies and the very latest essential browser utilities and their updates (java, flash, shockwave, etc.) also require certain features that only exist in SP3.

Browser technology will obviously keep evolving. Browser dependent utilities will also keep evolving. Malware threats to browsers and OSs will also keep evolving. I am not sure I understand how you intend to stay ahead of all these 3 curves with no further XP compatible updates from utilities providers and no more updates and security patches from Microsoft, unless you intend to and have the ability and time code your own future updates and patches.

I don't share your apparent confidence that post-2014 browser, browser utilities, antivirus and antispyware updates will not potentially expose an essentially static OS, devoid of any updates and security patches, to system instability.

As for drivers, there are several freeware compilations containing between 100k and 250k or more device drivers for XP and other MS OSs available for download online. A retrospective driver library should serve you fairly well. The only potential driver problem could arise if a future graphics card upgrade to keep up with future developments in video streaming and flash technology needs XP drivers.

My networking suggestion was based on the future browser and updates/security patches issues I mentioned eventually making some websites eventually become inaccessible if you insist on confining yourself to XP. One occasionally hears about people with machines running '95, '98 ME and 2K, but not that some parts of the internet are inaccessible to those using such machines (such as considerable parts of YouTube).

Anyway, you have my answer. Comprehensive XP driver libraries are available. A manually compiled custom updates library is feasible. A slip-streaming protocol for all of the above is technically possible. I do not believe that XP SP1, even with modifications, is viable for long term, universal internet access after 2014. I also believe that the lack of updates and security patches post-2014 will inevitably result in diminishing internet navigability.

I don't see any other solutions available to the question you asked.

That's my answer. It's the best I can do. Good luck.

Stoic
George H
2013-12-07 09:27:27 UTC
Well I have a few old machines with Win 98SE They work. Even when I could update my OS the machines wouldn't take any OS above 98SE. I have and XP machine too but all my game and working machines are Windows 7 64bit. The transition fro XP to Win7 was a very small learning curve and 7 has been very stable (un like vista) I've loaded 8 on clients machines cause they wanted it...I don't like it...nor 8.1. Its a bit "glitchy" and I don't like to "look" cant get use to the "tiles" I suppose its ok for someone that is just new to computing but if your an old salt, you may not like it. Unfortunately, with any of the older "unsupported" OS versions, you cant get a new disc or any fixes from them. basically when your computer dies with the old XP, you'll have to go to something else! Both machine AND OS
2016-03-10 06:15:01 UTC
The best I can recommend would be to totally wipe your hard drive, then install XP. If your XP disk is a full version (not just an upgrade), you might be able to do the whole thing just by booting from the installation disk. Tell the XP installation to format the partition you're installing XP to, and it will remove all the stuff that was on the drive before. BEFORE COMMITTING: Make sure all files you want to keep are burned to a CD, and you have all your serial numbers on hand for whatever programs you'd like to use on XP. You'd be amazed how many programs can be bought as downloads... but once done, it's up to you to save a hard copy of them as well as the serial codes that go with them. Even if you think you'll never use them on XP, save 'em. You can keep them forever, but only throw them out once. Do a search for Ultimate Boot Disk. Download it and burn it to disk. You might need it later... you might not--but it's better to have it sitting on your desk when you get started, rather than having to bum someone else's computer to go looking for it later. Download all the XP drivers you're going to need and burn them to disk. It'll save you some time once XP is installed. Video card, sound device, printers, internet connection... the works. Go get 'em. Make sure you really are done with Vista. If it's frustration over drivers that makes you want to ditch Vista, remember that XP was the same way when it first came out; it's really a matter of time until vendors catch on and add support. No matter what your reasons, it'll pay you in the long run to make sure you have a way of reinstalling Vista should something go wrong with your attempts at installing XP. Make sure your XP installation is the full version--not an upgrade. Full version disks will take care of installation pretty much on their own and save you a headache later. Upgrades can be installed from scratch, but there's hoops to jump through. Ultimate Boot Disk offers options for making this happen... but again, they are hoops: Get ready to jump. If the XP disk complains about erasing Vista, use Ultimate Boot Disk to reformat your drive. Then install XP.
geek-in-training
2013-12-07 09:11:49 UTC
XP is dead ... get over it. Try a Linux distro or get better computers to run Win 7 or 8. With no further support for XP, it will be "dead" just like 95, 98, ME, etc.
nanci
2014-12-01 01:22:59 UTC
confusing thing. look into in a search engine. this can assist!