Question:
Desktop Memory Compatibility Help?
chpstckdrpkck
2008-12-12 10:35:00 UTC
I am planning on upgrading my memory on a Dell Dimension 4550 and I need help in compatibility
Will this be compatible:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145026

I went to crucial.com
http://crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=750ED13FA5CA7304

It was cheaper at newegg.com, but i didn't know if it was compatible
if it is not compatible, could you help me find one (im looking for 512MB)
Four answers:
Tony M
2008-12-12 10:54:28 UTC
4550 Product Technical Specifications page

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/specs.htm#1101572

Memory

Architecture

DDR SDRAM

Memory connectors

two

Memory capacities

128-, 256-, and 512-MB non-ECC DDR SDRAM

Minimum memory

128 MB

Maximum memory

1 GB

Memory type

DDR 333 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed

DDR 266 (non-ECC) on computers with either a 400- or a 533-MHz system clock speed

BIOS address

F8000h

That 2nd one in the details definitely should be according to what I found on Dell's website.

Your motherboard can max out at 2 sticks of 512 MB RAM (1 GB Total)
2008-12-12 19:01:21 UTC
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/index.htm

instructions on how to do it.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&category_id=4325&mfgpid=193388&chassisid=-1

Get something that is 400mhz(pc3200) DDR 168-pin and get a couple of one gigs

Usually you can get a 2 x 1 gig for like 60 bucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145579

would be perfect for you

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145407 would work as well but get a 1 gig at least. You won't regret

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145505 would be the 1 gig

All of the ones i put down would work. The 1 gig or the 2 x 1 gig kit would be best.

Dell sells 1 gigs for your system so you can get a 1 gig!
Wayne B
2008-12-12 18:50:36 UTC
Using the website that I listed below, the type of ram you need is DDR 333. So the last one you listed in Addition Details would be the correct speed. This is after looking up your machine and seeing it as a 2.66GHz machine.

But to be sure, look up your CPU Speed and compare it to this:

IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® 4 microprocessor that runs at 1.80, 1.90, 2.0, or 2.20 GHz internally and 400 MHz externally; or 2.26, 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533 MHz externally

Then if you are running in the 400 MHz externally, get DDR 266.

If you are running in the 533 MHz externally, you need to get DDR 333.
2008-12-12 18:46:33 UTC
You have to know what type of memory your motherboard supports, specifficaly if it's DDR, DDR2, or DDR3, and how many MHz it runs at. common mhz speeds are 667, 800, 1066, and 1333