Question:
Is it harmful to leave my desktop turned on for 36 hours ?
TheEmperor
2011-03-14 08:52:51 UTC
I'm used to turning off my desktop at night, but today I'm downloading a huge game and I have a slow internet connection, so this game is going to take about 36 hours to finish downloading and the server I'm downloading the game from is not resumable so I can't turn off my desktop. Now, is it harmful to the hardware ? I also use speedfan and nothing is more than 40 celsius.
Ten answers:
2011-03-14 09:14:39 UTC
The answer is no if it’s a desktop its laptops that have the problem .
starpc11
2011-03-14 09:33:30 UTC
If you had no errors that will cause the pc to turn off and the power management for hdd and is set for never going off and set the windows update to notify me to install updates and not automatic cause windows will automatically restart your pc on some updates and mess that download up, and monitor it every now and then should be no problem and can also use your power management to set the monitor to go off at a certain time using the mouse or any key on the keyboard to turn it back on to check the download or just leave it on . with a screensaver , you"ll be okay again check on it every now and then and mainly speedfan
2011-03-14 09:04:57 UTC
Not harmful in the least bit. I have a computer that's 5 years old (I use it as an HTPC) and it has been on almost every day for those 5 years and it still runs just fine. Computers can still run just fine at 60 Celsius, it's when you start hitting 70 that you should worry.
mitts
2016-12-14 08:58:36 UTC
actual, that is extra secure to maintain your guy or woman pc on than to constantly turn it on and rancid. do no longer forget that the climate that flow will placed on out first. There are a limited form of factors that flow which includes the complicated rigidity, followers, and floppy or cd drives. commencing and combating the pc halts the header on the complicated rigidity or the fan mechanism, hightening the prospect that there would properly be a failure interior the destiny. only as your automobile's stops and starts off do extra injury than highway miles, a working laptop or pc's stops and starts off do an identical. i in my opinion keep mine on for all time, and time table virus scans and updates while i know I isn't around. As for temperature... the chillier the extra effective. All those followers on your equipment are designed to make the air flow faraway from factors that get warm. maximum pc manufacturers recommend a 'customary' room temperature of roughly sixty 5-75 stages. worry-unfastened rule of thumb is.. while you're warm, the pc's probable warm too.
Abhishek
2011-03-14 08:55:22 UTC
its no problem at all and 40 c is normal, dont worry abt it , desktop is capable of running 24x7 with proper cooling

if ur pc is a newer 1 try putting in control panel>power option >power saving mode [edit H.D turn off to unlimited time + sleep to unlimited for extra power saving
2011-03-14 08:56:00 UTC
I had an IBMXT on a bulletin board that ran continuously for 16 years, except for occasional power failures. I don't think that 36hrs. will have any effect at all.
Toby
2011-03-14 08:58:26 UTC
I haven't turned my desktop off in months.
Alysa
2011-03-14 09:06:09 UTC
there is no problem for certain celsius but if its get's heated more after that i got no idea about it.
2011-03-14 09:00:50 UTC
i think its not so harmful to your system hardware.

if so your fan goes off you gotta forget your processor......:-(
2011-03-14 08:57:24 UTC
It should be ok, I have often had my PC for days.